Custom Agricultural Intelligence Inc., a progressive leader in customized crop health therapy formulations is seeking a Formulation Scientist to join our energetic team at our Regina/Sedley Facility. This will be a senior level position responsible for formulation development of microbial bio-pesticides, bio-fungicides, bio-insecticides, bio-herbicides, bio-stimulants and managing formulation lab operations. The successful candidate will work closely with all levels of the Company’s R&D team. The individual will be part of a Formulation Development Group that is highly focused on the rapid development of new agriculture products, supporting process development and scale up activities for commercialization. We are looking for highly energetic individuals who have deep technical knowledge in biotech manufacturing process development areas such as: analytical development, formulation development, process development and downstream processing. This position requires individual to be capable of working in cross-functional teams and/or other technology development teams to achieve departmental and corporate goals.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design, prepare and develop microbial formulation processes at lab scale, pilot scale and commercialized manufacturing.
- Apply for product registration with CFIA or other government regulatory authorities.
- Lead and conduct stability studies and product testing procedures. Key evaluations include: in-house efficacy, microbial, physico-chemical testing (pH/conductivity, density, viscosity, dispersion, particle size, emulsion/suspension, etc.), compatibility testing (container, tank mix, etc.), as well as ASTM and CIPAC methods.
- Lead to investigate, develop, optimize and implement new formulation or process technologies.
- Support technical field development and sales team efforts by providing formulated samples and materials.
- Knowledge and experience in bio-chemical formulation development is essential.
- The ideal candidate should also possess the ability to learn quickly, solve complex problems and have excellent data analysis/interpretation skill as well as excellent in verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- The candidate has ability to successfully interface with multidisciplinary teams, engage and collaborate with external partners in process development and manufacturing.
- Proficiency in spectrometric analysis of tissues, seeds, soil and fertilizer.
- Interface with microbiology, bioassay, and chemistry groups by supplying test formulations, and aid in processing data.
- Present formulation updates to team members at regular project meetings.
- Prepare and maintain laboratory notebooks, technical reports, summaries, protocols and methods for the development of company’s bio-chemical products, according to company’s policies. Adhere to the company’s IP guidelines.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe working environment.
- Evaluating formulation options and technical feasibilities for optimal delivery and seed safety of microbial products
- Providing technical leadership in formulation technology for microbial products and developing practical and cost-effective formulations that enable commercialization.
- Managing day-to-day formulation research and development operations.
- Designing and conducting formulation and downstream processing experiments toward to optimizing bioactivity, physical properties and stability.
- Providing high quality technical actives and formulation prototypes for greenhouse and field testing.
- Preparation and delivery of reports, SOPs, and technical presentations for both in-house and external parties.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills:
- MUST BE AUTHORIZED TO WORK FULL TIME IN CANADA.
- PhD. or MS. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology or related fields.
- R&D work experience (up to 3 years) in formulation or processing of biological products desired.
- B.Sc. with sufficient experience (5+ years) will also be considered.
- 1 to 5 years of industrial experience in biological formulation for agriculture.
- Experience in the formulation of biological products and familiarity with technologies such as freeze-drying, granulation, emulsion, encapsulation, etc.
- Experience with agricultural chemistries employed in seed treatments and the application techniques used to treat them.
- Knowledge of various formulation types typical in the agriculture industry.
- Knowledge of crop protection products and field application practices.
- Knowledge of experimental design and statistical methods.
- Energetic and self-motivated individual able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-directed and creative, and must be able to work effectively in a flexible and multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Interpersonal skills required to communicate, advise, negotiate or influence others, as well as, build productive working relationships in various settings.
- Analytical skills required to interpret and summarize (scientific data) and information.
- Planning skills required to organize, prioritize, schedule and coordinate work activities for multiple projects.
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Be able to work on repetitive tasks in a multi-functional lab.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time (2-4 hours).
- Ability to sit at a desk for extended periods. Utilizing extensive use of computer, keyboard, mouse and monitor.
- Ability to drive a vehicle for extended period of times to different locations.
- May also be required to work in a venue such as a hotel or other organization’s meeting room, conference, or convention space with the possible inclusion of weekends.
- Overnight travel to annual meetings/conferences (up to 7 consecutive days) required; overnight travel to other meetings (typically 1-5 consecutive days); inclusion of weekends may be involved.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in workload priorities, ability to prioritize tasks, ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Ability to travel domestically under special circumstances, conference meetings or manufacturing site visits by various modes of both private and commercial transportation.
The salary range based on experience. Custom Ag Intel offers a comprehensive benefits package including RRSP with employer match, and a health plan including medical and dental coverage, life insurance coverage, long term disability, and a flexible spending account for dependent care and/or medical expenses.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive. This job description may be modified as needed.
Custom Ag Intel is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
Send updated resume with reference and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank you for your interest in this position.