Summary Job Description – Microbiologist
Tasks would include:
- Detecting the presence of pathogenic micro-organism from crops, and other biological sources and identify them.
- Preparing culture media, sterilization and pouring media plates for microbial growth from different samples.
- Monitor and identify microorganisms from their physiological and morphological characteristics
- Collecting agricultural and environmental samples from a variety of locations.
- Knowledge of agricultural research methods
- Equipment calibration and maintenance of good lab practice.
- Record, analyze and interpret data. Ensure data is recorded accurately in accordance with set company guidelines.
- Develop and document various microbiology laboratory processes and prepare final reports.
- Assist and perform various tasks needed in the laboratory.
- Write research papers, reports, and reviews.
- Investigate the relationship between microorganisms and disease, including the control of epidemics and the effects of antibiotics on microorganisms.
- Study growth, structure, development, and general characteristics of bacteria and other microorganisms to understand their relationship to human, plant, and animal health.
- Other tasks as assigned by Management
- Knowledge of DNA extraction, and sequencing, using standard biological techniques such as PCR, gel and electrophoresis is a plus
- Agriculture knowledge and experience
- Ability to handle hazardous chemicals
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Degree in Microbiology or Biochemistry or any other related field
- Experience in laboratory setting using electron microscopes, weighing equipment, and preparing reagents
- Works well in team setting